We know of 2
representations of the jube : this one and the one from Rigaut.
arched gallery. On the nave
sides, seven small roofs with a sharp gable: 1 in the midle and 3 in
central gable, the larger one, is supported by a trefoil on 2 strong
columns. Under the gable there is the great choir gate used by the
canons to solemnly get in for mass.
· The 6 lateral gables are
embellished by 2 trefoil bows supporting a quatrefoil rose. A column
supports the bows conjuncture and 2 large columns are at the
On the left
of the main gate, before the first gable, is a huge canopy supported
by 2 small columns. On this baldachin is the dressed statue of the
Black Virgin, known now as Our Lady of the Pillar (Which should not be
mistaken with the 2 representations of the Blessed Virgin). The statue
was there since the beginning of the 16th century when brought by
canon Vastin des Fougerais.
No one knows
what was under the gallery nor above it.
gables was a vertical wall or frieze, crowned by a large
crucifix and the statues of the Blessed Virgin and Saint John.
choir the wall is supposed to have been sculpted. It is possible that
the sculpture kept in the crypt are part of it. (polychrome sculptures
dated from the du 3rd quarter of the 13th century)
Rouillard (1609), on both sides of the main gate, on the choir sides,
were 2 freestone stairs enabling to access the 21m x 4m.stage behind
the frieze and the crucifix. This is the place where were the sung the
Gospels (on an eagle made of copper) on the left and Epistles (on
music stand) on the right (south). Henri the 4th has been crowned
there in 1594.
This jube was
falling apart and taking down in 1763. (Now in Saint Martin’ Chapel
in the crypt)
A new jube
was built and again removed in 1869. Statues
and low-relief are for a part of it kept in the bishop’s
palace. The monumental iron
grille serve now as gate to the Hôtel-Dieu.
Ex-voto were hanged to the first left pillar of the great nave:
that Philippe le Bel and his son were wearing at the battle of
· The wax roll known as “Tour
de Ville” which was presented to “Our Lady of the Jube” by the
City Mayor every year on March 15th during the 16th century.
· The cannon-ball of Baron de
When the jube
has been removed, the Statue of the Virgin Mary has been moved
against the ex-voto pillar. In1791,
it was moved again (in the crypt) and replaced by Our Lady of
Under-Ground. In1796, it was
brought back. Since 1806, it
is were it can be seen to day.